ADD1

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

INTERVIEW: I Used To Watch Planes Fly - Youngest Pilo


Twenty-year-old Favour Nnaemeka Odozor was penultimate Saturday in South Africa, awarded license as a commercial pilot, making him the youngest in South Africa and Nigeria commercial pilot. He speaks on his journey to becoming a pilot and what next.
Weekly Trust: How do you feel being the youngest commercial pilot in Nigeria and South Africa?
Favour Odozor: It is not a feeling out of the ordinary; it was that of a childhood dream of being a commercial pilot which finally came through and at the age of 20. That I was able to achieve this in countries advanced in aviation like Nigeria and South Africa, is equally rewarding. But I know there are many younger ones out there who do have the wherewithal to achieve this even while younger than I am now.
Could you tell us a bit about yourself?
I am, was born in Umuoma Amucha in Njaba Local Government Area of Imo State by Mr and Mrs Odozor. I attended Adimery nursery/primary Oguta, Imo state. I had my secondary education in Lagos and Enugu before proceeding to Caritas University, Enugu State where I enrolled for Computer Science and Information Technology. I deferred this in my second year to go to South Africa's prestigious Afrika Union Aviation Academy to undergo training as a commercial pilot. This I have completed within a good time and currently licensed on a multi engine airplane with instrument rating.
What were your aspirations growing up?
I'd always desired to become a pilot right from childhood. I remember always running out of the building just to catch a glimpse of an airplane on hearing its cruising sound possibly at 36 - 38 thousand feet overhead. It usually depressed me the moment it disappears. Then my mother would calm me down by saying 'don't worry one day God will make this a reality but focus on your studies for now in order to obtain brilliant results if you would like to be a pilot'. That motivated me a lot that I made sciences my bread and butter while at school just to achieve this dream.
Could you explain what it felt like for you when you were awarded the license?
I felt very good when being awarded this license. I pursed it vigorously and competed with many other students from all over the world with some dropping from the school halfway into the training. Also the presence of Nigerian dignitaries at the graduation was very heartwarming. I've never been so proud, as a Nigerian achieving what I had. I felt honoured by their presence, meeting and sharing photos with them. They are very humble as against what you would read in the newspapers about them. Yet I felt very accomplished but then also realized that there is even more to do from here onwards.
What did you specialize in and how did you decide on it?
I first obtained my Private Pilot license having successfully passed 8 South Africa's Civil Aviation Authority mandatory examination with all the flying procedures completed. From there I proceeded with my ground school where I also passed eight exams towards a commercial license involving flying procedures including night rating and instruments flights.
On completion of this process, I progressed from single engine aircraft to multi engine aircrafts where its rating was also successfully completed after intensive and vigorous tests by the designated examiners from the South African Civil Aviation Authorities. At the end of this, your fate would be communicated to you via your academy on whether you made it or not. It's usually a tough moment for pilots awaiting this good or bad news.
How old were you when you were admitted for the course and how long did it take you to finish it?
I was 18 when I enrolled into the program and my parents had to sign consent on my behalf. It took me 17 months to complete all training.
Who would you say had the most influence on you?
My mother had a lot of influence on me while growing up, she always tells me to believe in myself and God no matter what the challenges are. That humility surely shall remain a key to anyone's success. My uncle (Mr. Uche Odozor) has great impact on me during my training, he kept on monitoring and encouraging me during challenging situations. Also, my principal Captain Allan Roebuck who could fly anything so long as it has wings would always advise us that our attitude would always give us our altitude.
Did you have any worriesor fears?
I was never worried nor had fears in my ability to do this. Being a pilot is in the mind and passion not necessarily in age. I was just pursuing my dreams and knew that all I needed was just to work very hard. I'm glad it finally paid off. Thanks to everyone who supported me.
Did your parents object to your becoming a pilot?
My parents always supported me, but wanted me to complete my degree first, but when they saw that it wasn't giving me any joy despite my good results they had to let me go, but constantly prayed for me.
Were there times you wanted to quit?
There were times initially when one would reach almost a breaking point most especially where at about 10 thousand feet mid air, your instructor would intimidate you, cause you so much anger, giving you 100 reasons why you cannot fly.
All these were meant to upset you while carefully watching you blunder or remain calm while flying the airplane. But as the pilot in command, it remains your responsibility to safely fly your aircraft to its destination. Eventually you'll realize that it's all part of the training. I do not believe in giving up, I just focus on doing the right thing and managing every expectation well.
What airlines will you be flying for?
I have not considered any airline specifically to fly for. I'm focusing now on my further studies towards an instructor rating in order to teach while writing my airline transport pilot license ( ATPL) frozen exams.
What other interest do you have?
I have a lot of interests within the aviation space; I also have interest in watching football.
How do you think you can contribute to the growth of the Nigerian aviation industry?
I would really like to give back to my country using my skills and maybe someday as a training Captain.
Source: Daily Trust

No comments:

Post a Comment