ADD1

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

TRAGIC: Girl Orphaned, Crippled By Car Accident?


Opemipo Ogunseye’s leg was crushed by a reckless commercial bus driver on her way to school.
Opemipo Ogunseye is Senior Secondary School Student (SS3) of Progress College located in Oloke Ogundiran Street, Oja-Oba, Lagos State. Her ambition is to become a Journalist, hence, her dedication and commitment to academics is never in doubt. She always ensures she gets to school early enough.
The 16-year old orphan who resides with her older sibling at Abule-Egba, Lagos State, as usual on April 8, 2013, left their home in Oja-Oba area as early as 7.00a.m. to get to school before the commencement of the 8.00a.m. academic work.
While waiting for the traffic lights at a road junction to turn green so she could cross the road, a reckless commercial bus driver suddenly overtook a tipper lorry, lost control and ran into the teenager at the side of the road. She survived, but with no legs.
Ms Ogunseye was first assisted by fellow passersby who rushed her to a nearby health centre before she was transferred to the General Hospital, Ayinke House at Ikeja. After spending seven days in the hospital, her 30-year old sibling, Adeola Adeyemo was told that Miss Ogunseye’s leg had to be amputated to save her life.
Ms. Adeyemo, who is currently unemployed, had her sister transferred, on the advice of well-meaning peers, to Federal Medical Centre, FMC, Idi-Aba, Abeokuta; where Miss Ogunseye was subsequently admitted on April 14.
At the Bola Ajibola Orthopedic and Trauma Ward of the hospital, doctors there also agreed that the leg had to be amputated. The amputation, however, has brought a temporary relief to the victim.
For a more meaningful life, doctors have suggested the use of an artificial leg. As Ms. Ogunseye’s only other guardian is jobless, the young woman is now appealing to the public in order to raise the money, N500, 000, for the artificial limb.
“I am told I can still walk with an artificial leg,” she said. “And I’m begging everybody to come to my aid because I am convinced I will still be somebody in life. I want to be a journalist. That is the course I am planning to study. I am an orphan. My only sister with me is still looking for job. She is the only one that has been running up and down. Please, help me, so that I won’t become a burden to society. I have a dream and I want the good dream to become a reality in my life,” the amputee begged profusely.
‘We have nobody from our family to help us and I’m using this forum to passionately appeal to the public to help so that this girl will not waste away with her talent. The leg is already amputated as you can see, and the only hope is to get an artificial leg for her, to make life more meaningful for her,” her sister, Ms. Adeyemo added.
Source: Premium Times

No comments:

Post a Comment