ADD1

Saturday, May 25, 2013

INTERVIEW: What Nigerians Don’t Know - Alamieyeseigha

What Nigerians don’t know about my pardon —Alamieyeseigha
When the Federal Government announced a state pardon for former Governor of Bayelsa State, Chief Diepreye Alamieyeseigha, this was greeted by wild condemnation, both within and outside the country.
However, speaking for the first time since then, Alamieyeseigha has stated that those who are criticising the action are ignorant of the internal workings of government. According to him, the administration of the late President Umar Yar’Adua negotiated with him and his pardon was part of the agreement reached with the Federal Government.
He said that President Jonathan, who was in the team that negotiated with him, in his capacity as the Vice President then, merely executed what had been agreed. He said if Yar’Adua were to be alive, he would have granted him pardon.
On why he could have been granted pardon, the former governor made reference to his role at ensuring peace in the country and wondered if Nigerians would have felt better if there was no means of selling the country’s  oil to earn revenue. He disclosed that he had to go to the high sea, on several occasions, on behalf of the government, to ensure the release of expatriates captured by militants. He also revealed how he had slept in different camps of the militants in the creeks to negotiate peace on behalf of government.
Alamieyeseigha spoke on the emergency rule declared in three northern states by President Jonathan and the meeting of leaders of the three geo-political zones in the South.
Excerpts:
What is the relevance of the meeting of leaders of the three geo-political zones in the South at this material time?
A journey of 1, 000 miles starts with a step. I think southern leaders are coming together at the right time. For so many years, over 100 years, this type of initiative, this type of gathering has not been taking place. That is why we don’t pursue a common cause. Now that we are talking together and we are coming out with a collective decision with the support of our elders, those in authority can pursue those ideals, those decisions that have been taken collectively by the three zones in the South.
Is President Jonathan taking the right step with the state of emergency declared in the North?
If there is a better alternative to the state of emergency, let people speak up. If there is an idea of how to bring about a sustainable peace in those affected states, let people come out with it. There must be solution. But under the circumstances, the President is perfectly right and he is supported by the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to declare a state of emergency. Do you hear of Boko Haram in those states since the emergency was declared? They are on the run. How can you take an oath that you will defend the territorial integrity of a country you are ruling and about eight local governments are controlled by terrorists? That is a violation of the constitution?
Has this solved the problem, as they may move to Niger Republic and other neighbouring countries?
There is no international conflict because the president appealed to the neighbouring countries not to allow them to use their territories. So, it is left to these countries to make sure that those militants from those areas are not allowed to enter their country. So, I don’t see a conflict.
Niger Delta militants fought for a cause. Boko Haram has no clear reason for resorting to violence. But the government is now talking of amnesty and negotiation. Why?
When things like this happen, people have different views. Even as you are here, you have a different view. There is nobody that has gone to court to present a case to attract verdict of guilt. So, those from that area must come out with an argument. However, as far as I am concerned, peace is very expensive. Let the dialogue continue. Let the military action that is taking place also continue.
We learnt they struck in Niger State a few days ago. Is the President going to declare state of emergency wherever Boko Haram resurfaces?
I thought the Federal Government waited for too long. Some of these people have already infiltrated other states. But they will not garner that formidable force to cause any colossal damage. Yes. They can strike and run. But the Federal Government is well equipped and capable of handling such isolated cases.
President Jonathan granted you amnesty and it caused uproar. The international community said they don’t support it. How do you feel about it?
Well, again, people have the right to say their own personal opinion. The Federal Government has taken a decision and those people are criticising it. I don’t think those criticising it have  the information the Federal Government has. They don’t know the contributions I have made towards sustenance of peace. Maybe it would have been better if there were no oil or if there was no money to share at the centre. Then, the impact (of my contributions) would have been visible. Because things are so rosy that at the end of the month, they go to Abuja and share the money. They don’t feel the impact. They don’t know that people went into the creeks, slept in every camp to make sure that amnesty was achieved. Even the former President, Olusegun Obasanjo, will agree that he wrote many commendatory letters to me, begging me or, I mean thanking me, for what I did.
I risked my life going into the creeks severally to rescue expatriates. It was at the risk of my life. People have forgotten all these things. It was a negotiated item. Number one was that I was going to be given pardon.
Who negotiated with you?
It was the Federal Government. It was (Umar Musa) Yar’Adua’s government. Goodluck Jonathan was only a part of the negotiating team. You the media reported when I was with the EFCC (Economic and Financial Crimes Commission) and Vice President Jonathan at the time visited me in EFCC. It was reported and it was part of the process. It is what Yar’Adua would have done.  What is this corruption they are talking about? The whole thing was political. One day, I will expose everybody. I have started writing. People are ignorant of what really happened.

Was the British government also be involved in the local politics?
Is it the British government that brought me to this country? You did not hear that our own Attorney General went to the British court to say that Alamieyeseigha should not be allowed to come home? Have you ever heard that a sovereign nation will go to another sovereign nation to say that his national should not come home? When people commit offence, they run away from their countries. This one wanted to come back and you said he should not come back to his country. Nuhu Ribadu was at the airport to identify me.
It was said that you sneaked into the country dressed like a woman. How did you do it?
Why didn’t they arrest me if I dressed like a woman? It is nonsensical. ThisDay newspaper had a computer graphic and there was an annotation under that photograph and people did not look at that. A Governor-General would dress like a woman? Is it to escape?
What went wrong between you and former President Obasanjo?
The summary of it is that former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, according to Obasanjo, nominated me as his running mate; end of story. And he said it is over his dead body and he would fight Atiku and I to the end of the world and that unless he died, Atiku cannot be President of Nigeria. That was the beginning and end of the story. Again, I am going to tell my story.
Did you take his threat seriously?
Maybe the only mistake I made was that I left this country for Germany for medical surgery. Again, I made a mistake by calling him when I recovered from the surgery that I just came out from the theatre. After that  I started having funny calls and they started threatening me.
What do you say to the squabble between Governor Rotimi Amaechi and the presidency?
I have told Amaechi face to face that  nobody can try government. He should learn. After God, it is government.
But Amaechi is in government…
Amaechi is in a regional government. There is Federal Government that controls the armed forces. However, most of these things, the President himself does not know. It is people around them that are creating these problems. If you call the two of them and sit them down, I am sure they will not be able to tell you what has happened between them.
Tell us about your impeachment.
I did not appear before any panel. My House of Assembly people were forcefully carried to Awolowo Road and from there and under gunpoint signed my impeachment. They were taken to Abuja and with full police back-up and tanks, they were taken to Yenagoa to pronounce my impeachment. Everybody knows these things.
What was your relationship with your deputy then?
If he had not succumbed, he would have gone with me. They would have taken him and I out.
Did he give you support?
He (Jonathan) is my brother. I told you if he had not succumbed to what they did, he would also have been removed. He is only one person.
Have you spoken to Obasanjo since then?
There is no need. The damage has been done, but I have told him face to face that I have forgiven him. I have forgiven everybody.
Is it true that you want to be a senator in 2015?
It is not true. I am not talking about politics. I am enjoying my freedom. Thank you.
Source: Sun News

No comments:

Post a Comment