ADD1

Monday, March 18, 2013

Encouragement, Faith, Forgiveness, Grief, Obedience, Peer Pressure, Pregnancy, Provision, Purpose, Recovery/Addiction, Salvation - Accepting Christ, Spiritual Healing/Peace



I grew up in a small, middle class neighborhood in St. Petersburg, Florida. I am the youngest of four - two older sisters, my brother, then me. I don’t recall much of us as a family unit…my memories are vague with the exception of my first vivid memory of my father coming into mine & my brother’s room. He sat on my bed and looked at the two of us and told us that he and mom were getting a divorce. I don’t know all of the events that led up to this, but what I do know is that was one of only two times in my life I can recall seeing tears in my dad’s eyes.

Weekend visits with mom were blurry and short. Until one visit not to long thereafter, there was a stranger in the picture…a man…someone none of us knew, but all of the sudden he became mom’s husband. I was very confused. I was the youngest & got babied, but not nurtured in a way that a child needs. I was not taught proper affection, what love was or wasn't, or was conveyed my significance in life. I saw the actions of mom and dad, but they were in a lot of ways empty, lacking emotion.
My stepfather (and previous elder in the church we attended at the time), changed jobs and began driving cross country. He would be gone for several days at a time. Just as life started to settle down he began to barricade himself in the bedroom when he was home. We would see him stumble out for a beer, loud country music blaring from the bedroom - Mom became distant. Trying to hide a marriage that had terribly gone wrong, she was emotionally unavailable and it wasn’t long before our stepdad turned on us kids. I remember him in a fit of anger towards us kids, raising his hand to us, then to mom as she stepped in to intervene. We left that night & life shifted again. They began the divorce and the sale of the house.
I started making some strange friendships with the deviants and older crowds, but there was no one that I fit in with, no one providing the love every child needs, no one helping me sift through the barrage of emotions combined with adolescence. I told my mom I wanted to go live with dad & back I went.Dad was an alcoholic, never a drunk, but always enough to numb the pain life had brought him. He was a hard man – quick to discipline, but little-to-no affection...no teaching, no involvement unless I was in trouble.
I began to experiment in drugs. I had no understanding about what life was about, no goals, nothing to look forward to, no direction. I was hurting, and deep inside was looking for someone to comfort me. I was looking for love, acceptance, someone to let me know that I was important, to let me know that I mattered, and that everything was going to be all right – I didn’t have that. Like many, I sought fulfillment in the drugs and the opposite sex. I began a walk that would take me into the deepest despair I have ever known.
Life cruised on until I discovered I was pregnant. My significant other advised me that we could not have a baby and I would have to have an abortion…just shy of 15, I had an abortion. At about the age of 16, I found myself pregnant again. This time my significant other had convinced a friend’s girlfriend to lie and say I was her daughter. …another child wiped from existence. It was at this time, I really lost all self-worth and value of life.
After my father died, we moved back to Florida, and at the age of 18, I was pregnant again. It was during this time, I can say I felt a deep sense of conviction and longing to keep my baby. I didn’t feel like there was any hope at all in my situation…Yet God had his hand on my life…
God began to work on my heart opening door after door for me to receive training on computers, securing employment through a temporary agency and later landing a great job at one of the Big 3 automotive companies. Shortly thereafter, I was referred me to a church where I would encounter the greatest redeemer that ever lived..the Great I Am…
I remember walking into the church not wanting to speak to anyone, avoiding the ushers, slipping into the back row. I felt so out of place, but I knew it was right. It was like Jesus sat right next to me Sunday, after Wednesday, after Sunday, after Wednesday…each time, it was like he was saying…come up here…just a little closer. Before I knew it, I was at the alter time, after time, after time… I didn’t care who was around, what might be said, I had an appointment with the Great I Am. At the age of 21, on October 30, 1994, God revealed Himself to me in a most intimate way…He filled me with His spirit and took away all the desires for the former life. He opened my eyes to see the life I had been living for what it was and he began to change my life forever.
He picked me up and placed my feet upon solid ground. God began to part a path for me to walk on. He enabled me to stand on my own. He gave me hope…He provided person after person – both known and unknown, saved and unsaved to bridge the gaps during times of uncertainty. He so tenderly began the healing process in my life and restored my soul. God is faithful, and He is in the restoring business – He sets up the lost for success. He takes what is offensive to the eye of man, and transforms it to the glory of His name.
Although there is much more to share it is the burden of my soul to say, God is faithful…
For all who would judge and point the finger, you have become a stumbling block to the path of redemption. To those who would say, their sin is too great - He is a redeemer and you are deeply loved by the Father. His love is greater than the opinion of man and He is worthy of nothing less than our all.
To whom much is given…MUCH is required.
Doc. No. 1192138

Baptisim

I grew up in a Catholic home. My parents kept God visible in various aspects of our life. During high school, our family switched to a non-denominational Christian church, it was at that age I started questioning. What I didn't know and later learned was that I was really on a spiritual journey. I was seeking a deeper understanding and eventually a relationship with Christ who had died for my sins. I had relocated and sought out a Christian counselor who was helping me re-build my relationship with my mother. It was that day as I drove out of the parking lot and immediately pulled to the side of the road, I cried and cried and cried and accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior. From that point, I continued seeking, there was something more that I was still missing. A few years passed as I attended church here and there; then I met my husband and we relocated to Florida. We found a church in St Petersburg, where some of my questions began to get answered and one day I felt a calling to allow myself to completely surrender my life to Christ. I made the decision to be baptized as an adult and my LIFE WAS CHANGED FOREVER! Since that day, Easter of 2005, I can’t completely explain it, but I have never felt the same. My husband and I attend church regularly, my worship during service took on a whole new meaning - I truly feel God’s presence. We joined a small group and began volunteering through and outside of the church. I read the entire Bible in a year and now study scripture daily. Matthew 7:7 Seek and ye will find! Your life will become fulfilled and you will understand what it means to walk, talk and act like a Christian in God’s eyes. It’s like they say when you find the man/woman of your dreams and you want to get married and spend the rest of your life with that person. People ask how you know it’s the right person and the response is usually, “You just know!” It’s somewhat the same, I just can’t explain this feeling I have inside, always seeking to know more and become more like Him. In the words of Toby Mac, “I’m a Jesus Freak” and I wouldn’t have it any other way! Blessings!
Doc. No. 1211899

Encouragement

For many years, God has been tugging at me to open up and share my life with other single women, especially single moms. I have been sort of confused about it all because I just didn't really know how to start. My story has so many chapters, so many trials, so many battles, but also many victories and blessings.
Now I won't share all of the secrets between God and I, because sometimes we as women tend to tell and talk too much, but I will share with you all the things that God has put in my heart.
A little bit about myself, I am a single mom of three children. I have been raising my kids as a single mom for about 9-10 years. About a year ago my son decided to go live with his father, that transition was hard but it is what my son wanted so that's what we do....we do what makes our babies happy especially when they are 16 years old. So now it's just me and my girls, they are 13 and 11 years old.
About nine years ago, I walked a way from a domestic violent relationship. My ex was addicted to crack cocaine. So along with that came all of the mental, emotional and physical abuse, on top of trying to stay alive and be there for my kids. I knew that wasn't the life I wanted for myself or for my children, so when I finally got the courage to leave, I did. The kids and I lived in a local domestic violent shelter for women and children for four months. That fourth month I filed my income tax and with that money I found an apartment. The shelter filled up a medium size uhaul truck with all the ammenities for me and the kids and we moved into our new apartment.
The next eight years or so were the toughest. I spent many nights on my knees, many nights crying and praying asking God to heal me from so much pain. I spent many days and nights reading books, listening to cds and tapes learning how to break all the wrong habits I was use to, learning how to break all of the unhealthy soul ties and unhealthy bondages and so forth. At the same time, I also was learning how to be a parent. I had come to finally build some stability in my life - something I had not had before. The journey was hard work, I mean very hard, but I got through it. With perserverance, determination and a willing heart to never give up, I got through those tough years and well, here I am.
The most important fact to this story is that without GOD, there was absolutely no way I could have done what I did to get through those painful times of my life. He is the reason I am alive and here today. Without him I probably would still be with my ex going through the same drama and nonsense.
Well I am looking forward to sharing with many women all of the encouraging moments in my life. I pray that through friends of friends and friends of other friends - I pray that I can help other women through difficult times that we go through as single women, especially single moms.
Doc. No. 1210134

Forgiveness, Love/Marriage

Greetings! The following history was written with the main purpose to share my experience so it could be testimony of God’s faithfulness. I ask you as a favor to read it without any judgment, criticism, and contempt. But rather with a heart full of love and forgiveness so the whole purpose of it can be fulfilled in you:
It was a sunny and hot Sunday, like any other day during the month of April in Tampa Florida. In my house we were a little bit late but we rushed it and got on time for the 9:00 am service at my church, The Crossing Church. The worship, as always, was marvelous preparing the atmosphere for the delivery of the Word of God by our Lead pastor, Greg Dumas. He preached about Joshua and about how the providence of God helped him during the crossing of the Jordan River. The purpose of the message was not only to gain souls to His Kingdom but also to motivate Christians to accept His call and to follow leaders who are following God. During the whole message, my life was revealing before my eyes: my parents, my brothers, my family, my friends, schools, college…it was so quick. Then, my life on the faith, the church summer camps, the retreats, the vigils… My whole life before knowing my wife. Then it began to reveal my life with my wife and children. Since the day we met until today. All of the years that we have been together since: the serenades, our days at the university Christian groups, the wedding, the honeymoon, our precious kids, our vacations to local theme parks and our moving from Puerto Rico to Tampa FL. Everything was happening while listening to my pastor talks about the fidelity of God towards Joshua during the hardest times. I felt God’s awakening me from my spiritual sleeping and His calling to begin to work again for Him. To take up again my position on His Kingdom, to fulfilled His purpose on me, to give good fruits and to multiply the talents given to me by His Grace. To stop putting up more excuses and to dedicate myself completely to Him. My soul and spirit were very hyper and active with such wonderful calling on my life. I wanted to scream: Here I am! But my heart was sad and I didn’t know how to take a decision so important without being ambivalent on my feelings. I felt a guilt that I can’t describe, even though it has been almost 2 years from the fact, I still was feeling guilty of everything. Please, take seriously what I am talking to you here and I hope that your love and affection doesn’t change once you have finalized reading this story of mine, which it came from the bottom of my heart. I want to tell you that the sin kills and destroys your soul. It doesn’t matter how many years you have been in the gospel, or if you are a new born believer. In my case, the sin that almost destroy my life, my family and everything given by God: “Adultery”. I can certainly tell you, with the heart on my hand, that I was dead in life. I was living a double life for almost 7 years. That lie almost killed my soul. The sin has blinded me from the truth which is Christ and was making me seen the bad things as good things. I always was looking for excuses to justify my sin. How did I fall in such horrible trap? I didn’t know but what I really do know now is that His grace and mercy took my hand and didn’t let me go, and gave me another breath of life to my already dead heart, giving me the strength to stand up from the pharisaical grave to a new and real opportunity of life. My lovely wife gave me her forgiveness and since then, from the past 2 years, we have been rekindling our love and reconstructing our matrimony. It has not been easy, but we are together and fighting. It is a process, but we, as a couple and as a family, are prepared to flavor the victory. (I would like to take the opportunity now to make a parenthesis so I can tell to my wife, in front of you all: I love you and thanks for being who you are, and for being on my side. You are a woman of God and thanks to Him you were able to forgive me all of the damage I caused on you. Thanks for your forgiveness, understanding and unconditional love.) On March 3rd 2010, the evangelist, James Robison, visited our Church and spoke to us about the yoke of oppression and how we can be living as a slave of the sins. Mr. Robison taught us that we must confess and agreed with God so we can overcome anything. That night, I felt the weight of the sin been lifted from my shoulders and God sent me the rain of liberty waters that you can only experience when you are under the guilt of the sin. Listen to me carefully; I said the guilt of the sin, not in the sin itself. Because even though I was not in adultery anymore, I was still dragging the weight of its guilt. Do you understand what I’m saying? Sometimes we don’t do the sin but we don’t release its guilty feeling. Even after being forgiven by everybody. The questions that I always had been asking were: How can I be free from this guilty feeling? Why I still feeling this way if my wife already forgave me? Why am I still feeling like an adulterer? That night God helped me to understand that we must confess our sin and surrender it completely to Him. But in the other hand, my pride was making it very difficult for me to do such act of confession. I was telling to myself: I can’t confess my hidden sin to anyone, it’s personal between me and my wife and family and nobody cares. Why I have to confess it? What my friends would say about me? I was more worried about what others might think about me than the positive effect of obeying the message from God. I was also blaming myself by having thoughts like: How was possible that I fall on this horrible sin? Raised in the church, having a brother and uncle as pastors, Sunday school teacher for years, in charge of the men’s ministry of my church, graduated from the theological institute, and then teaching as well there, having missionary experiences in Honduras and Venezuela, teaching the bible at the Orient Road Jail. The pride was way too big. It was holding me from enjoying the liberty that God can gives us. Can you understand me now? It wasn’t easy for me to confess my sin. The vain parade of this society is worthless. God called us to become useful servants and with a divine purpose. We must be humble and release every ounce of pride from us that can apart us from Him.
Now, let’s get back to the Sunday service, specifically when pastor Dumas began the calling for those who wanted to serve in a ministry or as a leader. I still have many questions without answers, I had an internal fight due to my spirit wanted to raise my hand but my heart was still weighting the guilty pressure, the yoke of the oppression that James Robison was talking the night he came to our church. I was fighting and at the end, I raised my hand. But I did it with fear of being recognized so I put my hand down really quickly. Suddenly, I heard my pastor: “Look at me, yes you, look up here. Whatever your situation is, God is releasing you from it. God has called you. And because of your obedience, He will take over your pressure. It is a process but He has called you.” As soon as he finished talking to me, I turned my head to look at my wife, and she was under the power of the Holy Spirit speaking in tongues. WOW!!! I was in shock, while tears were coming down my cheeks. God lifted up the weight of my guilt. I was FREE!!! God took over. Do you realize what just had happened inside of me? It was like every pound of guilt disappears instantaneously. It was something out of the ordinary, like only God knows how to do it. I spent the rest of the day speechless and surprised of a mighty God, my mighty God. I would like to tell you, my friend, my brother/sister, that God is real. He is a God of 2nd and 3rd chances, a God of opportunities. It doesn’t matter what your spiritual level is, just surrender yourself to Him. He wants you as you are, just let Him take control of your life. The Holy Spirit will do the rest in you. Since that day, I have been telling to everybody about the power of the confession. Be wise and pray God to help you in the process of confession. He will lead you. Remember: Following leaders who are following God. Together we will do it. We will cross the Jordan of our lives. Together!!! God bless you. Psalm 32:2-7
Doc. No. 1213693

Witnessing - Bringing others to Christ

Last Monday evening (6/7) a young man that grew up with our kids came over to our home because he is facing some giants that has him pretty overwhelmed. He was looking for guidance and direction. I asked him to join us on Saturday night for church. He said he didn't believe in ""organized religion"" and that while he believed in God he didn't think coming to church would change his situtation. He also said that his life was a mess and that he didn't want to come until he had his stuff in order. Well, before I knew it, the Holy Spirit had taken over the conversation and I started witnessing to him about God, Jesus, the Church, and how God is bigger than our problems. I found myself saying things I have heard through God's Word and the teachings at The Crossing, but had not actually spoken. Before our conversation was over he agreed to join us on Saturday night. Well, as our amazing God would have it, he did join us Saturday night and Pastor Greg's message was directly related to the conversation I had with this young man on Monday night. Pastor Greg started that he didn't like ""organized religion"" and all the things the Holy Spirit had spoken through me were reinforced by the message that was spoken through Pastor Greg. Praise Jesus, this young man accepted Christ on Saturday night - my husband and I had the priviledge to join him as he made the committment to turn his life over to God and pray with him for his new begining in Christ. Afterward, while we were walking to the parking lot, he asked me if I had called the Pastor and discussed our conversation because what I had said was repeated by Pastor Greg. I simply told him that the Holy Spirit gave me the words to speak and that he had done the same with Pastor Greg.
Thank you Pastor Greg and The Crossing for your leadership. Thank you for encouraging us to ""get a Bible and get a Journal"". My husband and I are in the Word regularly and it is amazing how God's is growing us for his Kingdom!! Together we will continue to draw others out of darkness into Jesus marvelous light!
""But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” Acts 1:8
Doc. No. 1245472

Physical Healing/Illness

Two years ago I was bed ridden, could not walk, drive, wheelchair bound. I was born with severe Scoliosis and all doctors said no HOPE, after much prayer and thanksgiving, I found a Orthopedic Surgeon he said"" yes I can fix you!"" there was a new technique and he and only one other doctor in the States could perform such a dangerous operation as this. On the day of the operation, he started to operate but was unable to use this technique. The operation lasted ten hours. When I woke I remembering asking the nurse if she was Christian and would she please pray for me, I must admit intensive care was not easy. All I could was pray and thank God there was no more pain other than what the operation caused. The Spirit of the Lord was with me always those three months I stayed in the Hospital while complications arose and I was operated on 16 times! The Lord gave me a wonderful support system; around the clock I had people come and read the Word to me, nurses singing in my ear Jesus songs! Everyone around me knew the Lord. My faith stayed steadfast the Spirit of the Lord was with me always and my faith never wavered. At first I could not even feed myself! Thank you Jesus for my daughter who quit her job to take care of me, we would sing praise songs and speak the Word out loud. I could see the glory of God all around me and the nurses would say they could see a light all around me ( I would witness and say it was God!)
All were amazed how I recovered each time I was put under but I knew God had everything under control. His word would rise up inside me constantly. Yes there were times I would lose it but never for long. Now I am called there Miracle child, I am even in the case history books! I have no more pain, I am straight for the first time in my Life ! I still on certain days use a walker but soon I will be running again!
If you are in pain and feel there is no HOPE, read my story! GOD can give you a miracle. What He has done for me He will do for you. I can walk again pain free and no more pain medication. I truly am a walking MIRACLE! Thank you Jesus!I I pray my story will make your Faith rise up and know there is always HOPE , and that your miracle is here right now! PRAISE BE TO JESUS CHRIST!
Doc. No. 1262932

Answered Prayer, Faith, Finances, Miracle/Blessing

Father’s day weekend was great for some and not so great for others. My stepfather was fired Saturday the 19th for reasons that were not legitimate. I went to church alone on Saturday and the service was so great I really encouraged my family to go Sunday morning. So they went! This is a miracle in itself because they rarely go to church anymore. My stepdad loved the service. He was still down about the job but it was looking ok. I prayed so hard for my stepdad to see there is light and that God knows and has control over what is going on. Monday, his friend called him from work and said that he wanted to give him 1000 dollars!!! So after saying “no way man, I cannot accept that!” about 40 times, my stepdad finally accepted it. We were able to pay our rent with that money! Then Tuesday my stepdad got a call from a job he applied to a while ago- and they want him to work for them! Same pay && more benefits! God is so amazing! My stepdad was taken aback by it all but I think he will be coming to church more often now!
Doc. No. 1264997

Encouragement, Purpose, Other (LifeGroup)

We have been in a life group now since November of 2009. The Saturday before Mother's Day I was preparing to come serve at the Baby Dedication Brunch. I started feeling a lot of pain in my lower back, then began to actually get sick. I called my husband to come get me to go the hospital. I was about 6 months pregnant and have a toddler at home. He called someone in our life group to see if they could watch our daughter while we went. Within minutes they were there, grabbed her and went! We proceeded to the hospital. This was early in the morning, we were there until late afternoon to find out they were keeping me overnight for observation. The couple kept our daughter until my husband could get there that evening. They even bathed her so he would not have to. God's hands were all over the situation! Our daughter did not cry and was very good for them. The entire group was praying for us the whole time we were in the hospital and have continued to do so! We have lived here for 3 years, but have only been attending The Crossing for 15 months at the time. We do not have family here all year. My parents are here in the winter. They had just left in April. We are still trying to develop friendships and establish ourselves here. I cannot imagine how this story would have gone if we were not in a Life Group and had people to lean on in immediate situations!!!!! Thank you Jesus for placing these specific people in our lives. They have opened up their arms to us, loved on us and supported us through so many situations! This is only one story.
I even heard the kids upstairs at The Crossing were praying for me Sunday morning (mother's Day). That just brought tears to my eyes! Wow! They initiated prayer and it spread!!!
Everyone keeps asking me how I am feeling.
I have two praise reports: 1) Lifegroup. Everyone needs to be in a lifegroup. Life happens! And no one needs to go through life alone. We always have God but we need our brothers and sisters to help us. Even if it's only prayer. We do not have family here and our daughter doesn't have a babysitter. (only one time) So that was important for us to know she was in good trustworthy hands and not to have to see her mommy in so much pain.
2)The church. It is a hospital! People really care. And when you're plugged in, people know who you are and the word spreads. Prayer starts and true care/compassion are involved. We did not feel alone for one minute!
We thank God for our Life Group and for The Crossing. Thank you for being a part of it as well.
Doc. No. 1271451

Source: Wisdom

No comments:

Post a Comment